Seasonal Rounds of the Salish
This is a self-paced online course, worth 2 University semester credits or 30 OPI renewal units. Participants will explore resources developed by the Office of Public Instruction alongside primary source documents and carefully selected literature. Most required materials will be provided in the course Moodle, though participants may need to seek additional resources at school or public libraries, book sellers, or online as part of the course requirements. Previous knowledge of IEFA and the Essential Understandings is helpful but not necessary for participants to successfully complete the course; prerequisite content will be provided for participant’s perusal.
This course covers the traditional seasonal rounds of the Salish. In this two-credit course, you will:
1. Read or review the seven essential understandings regarding Montana Indians
2. Read a number of texts and view a film relating to the history of the Salish
3. Respond to multiple writing prompts which encourage deeper engagement with the texts a materials in this course
4. Complete instructional activities to go with each season
5. Develop a grade or grade band specific teaching unit on the Salish and their seasonal rounds, along with at least two fully developed lessons on two different seasons.
6. Those seeking graduate credit will also fully develop two additional complete lesson plans to go along with the grade specific unit.
This is a self-paced course, but do not expect to complete it in one sitting! Course participants must be comfortable working independently and be self-motivated to complete all work within the flexible time frame.
How to Register: Visit the Western Montana Professional Learning Collaborative websiteView common abbreviations list
Western Montana Professional Learning Collaborative, wmplc.org
|Target Group||K - 2, 3 - 5, 6 - 8, 9 - 12|
|Available PL Durations(s)||30 hours|
|Renewal Units/Credit||30 renewal units or 2 university semester credits|
$250, additional fee of $155 if choosing university credits