1st Annual Summer Science Institute: Making Science Meaningful
This two-day science professional learning institute for educators is a collaborative conference with national and local science educators, professional learning providers, authors, and exhibitors. Montana’s new NGSS-based science standards are one of three topics during this event. OPI renewal units or graduate credits from UM-Western are available. Visit the event website for registration details and more information.
SAM Administrators Institute 2018
The 2018 School Administrators of Montana Summer Leadership Institute is in Helena, MT at the Radisson Colonial Hotel. This year’s theme is Empowering Montana Students – Transforming Education. Visit the School Administrators of Montana’s website for registration information and agenda as they become available for all three days of the Summer Institute.
2018 Montana Behavioral Initiative (MBI) Summer Institute
- Youth Mental Health First Aid
- Check and Connect
- Creating a School Wide Discipline Plan in the Elementary
- Creating School Wide Discipline Plans for Secondary Schools
- Setting Up Positive Behavioral Supports in Early Childhood
- Behavioral Threat Assessments in Schools
- Social Media Investigations
- Alternatives to Suspension
- Helping Kids with Their Digital Reputation and Cyberbullying
- School Wellness—Moving Kids to Better Behavior
- Functional Behavior Assessments
- Content area sessions in Reading, Math, and Science!
Our traditional 5 day schedule has been condensed into 4 power packed days.
Join us for special events!
- June 18th, 8:30 – 11:30AM., Join us for the opening keynote Supporting Mental Health in PBIS with Don Kincaid.
- June 18th, 4:30 – 5:30PM, It’s Movie Night with a special showing of Chasing the Dragon a wrenching portrait of the escalating opioid epidemic.
- June 19th, 4:30-6PM, Best Practices Expo featuring hors d’oeuvres, networking, and showcasing Montana MBI schools with music by Monte Selby
- June 21st, 1:15 – 4:15PM, The MBI exemplar awards for schools who have obtained excellence in their school implementing the MBI process.
- Opportunities for hikes and walks around Bozeman
Who Should Attend
General and special education teachers, parents, administrators, school psychologists and counselors, social workers, licensed professional counselors, mental health professionals, probation officers, police officers, university students and others concerned with children and behavior issues in classrooms, schools, and the community.
Writing in Science Summer Intenstive
The Summer Writing Intensive is full, but please register in order to add your name to the wait list.
This 3-day Summer Writing Intensive is to provide Montana educators with a community of learners, writers, and practitioners in writing and science. This workshop will oﬀer resources for implementing the new Montana Content Standards for Science and English Language Arts. Educators will leave with a new perspective on integrating IEFA throughout the curricular areas, while using writing to connect ourselves, our students, and our communities to the content. Applicable to all grade levels.
• Earn 20 Renewal units
• Oﬀered at no-cost, some meals included
• Participants pay lodging costs ($95 + tax)
• Limited to 30 participants, so register early!
• Resources, strategies, and more
Montana DRIVE Advanced Driving – One-day Summer Workshops
Earn renewal units or one college credit when you take a Montana DRIVE Workshop. Improve your driving skills, learn to manage risk and dangerous driving situations on a safe, closed track in Lewistown with professional driver educators trained in teaching defensive driving techniques. Teachers who want to earn one college credit from MSU-Northern need to stay for one day to student teacher and write a short paper about the experience.
The one-day workshops are scheduled Monday through Friday from June 4 to August 9 (no classes offered during the July 4th weekend). Only 12 drivers per day and pre-registration is required. Adult workshops are $330 and are discounted $10 if registered by March 5. Special teen workshops are offered in July. Visit the Montana DRIVE Workshops website for exact dates.
Operated by the Office of Public Instruction, the workshops have trained almost 14,000 drivers since 1979. In 2016, a new classroom building was constructed at the site and new vehicles are added to the fleet every year. Register early to get the date you want!
Summer Math Slide Virtual Discussion
Please join us on May 22nd at 3:45pm to discuss summer math slide. Summer slide is real and is seen in all content areas including math. We will begin by looking at some of the research behind summer slide. Then we will discuss summer math opportunities online and here in Montana to get your students and parents involved in before the last day of school to help prevent summer slide.
Join us through the Virtual Math Community on the Teacher Learning hub or by click on the following link : https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/804885669%20.
Hope you will join the conversation!